Like the SQL Server 2005 certification tracks there will be three also for SQL Server 2008.
- MCITP: Database Administrator 2008
- MCITP: Database Developer 2008
- MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer 2008
Now where the SQL 2005 certification tracks had a common exam for their Database Admin and Database Developer pillars, there will be seperate exams on SQL 2008.
This is good news for most people, as when Database Admins were trying to get certified on SQL 2005, they had to learn a bit about SQL programming which wouldn't normally come into their remit.
So on SQL 2008 you also have 3 MCTS certs. Namely
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Database Development
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Business Intelligence Development and Maintenance
If you have an MCTS on SQL 2005 there is no upgrade path as its a single exam.
If you have an MCITP on SQL 2005, its a single exam upgrade to your chosen certification.
There is a roadmap PDF/XPS which shows the different tracks in a nice visual way.
Also for those of you thinking of starting out in the SQL Server 2008 certification road there is a nice set of PowerPoint slides, recordings and other materials at the SQL Server Jumpstart site. It is free though registration is free :)